Submitted by Cheryl DeWolfe on Mon, 01/30/2012 - 00:16
In episode 20, "On Borrowed Wires" Mike and Cheryl talk about the problems with depending on free (or even paid) online services, be they cloud storage, sharing services, or social media juggernauts.
- Mike's blog post, Borrowed Wires from last August, which gave us the idea and the title for this episode.
- Changes in Google's universe have been in the news: what they are changing and what they are abandoning that has a lot of people up in arms.
- Speaking of abandonment, Plancast barely got off the ground before it announced it was closing shop.
- The other big site in the news last week was Megaupload which, while a fave among underground file-sharers also had a large contingent of legitimate file-sharers.
- More about the problems with "personalized" search: Eli Pariser's Ted Talk, Beware online filter bubbles and Clay Jonhson's Information Diet
- Then there's the story western media ignored, India to buy Iran oil in gold not Dollars and the incentivized fitness group, GymPact.